Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
    Blog Entries

Tell us your favorite series

Why not share with each other our favorite series. It can be about anime or manga, just your absolute favorite or something like a top 5. Do your thing!

For myself it is this:
    Manga top 5
    1. Slam Dunk
    2. Great Teacher Onizuka
    3. H2
    4. Suzuka
    5. One Punch Man

Anime top 5
    1. Slam Dunk
    2. Great Teacher Onizuka
    3. Death Note
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    5. Hikaru no Go

These are like the series I constantly rewatch or reread, which makes it an easy list to make for me. But eventhough the top 2 is the same in both lists, the others were not, let me explain.

-H2 is Adachi Mitsuru at his best. Selo would say cross game and other fans would say Touch. Both also great, but I prefer H2. It is by far his longest serie (freaking 34 volumes!), and I cannot get enough of his stories. The anime however is only 41 episodes. Not cutting it.
    - Suzuka is wonderful, it is so down to earth and doesn't have a fairytale ending, pluspoints! Anime cut out a big part of the story, the down to earth, not a fairytale ending, no pluspoints!
    - One Punch Man anime is just not far enough for me to rank it high. That is it.
    -Death Note anime is better than the manga for me, purely because of the ambiance. Sound, the suspense, the soundtracks makes the anime just more entertaining.
    -I never bothered to read the FMA manga all the way through.
    -Hikaru no Go manga adds an extra arc to the story, however, it is the weakest arc in the series. The Anime is nice to the point, not too long with its 75 episodes and watching the Go matches is more enjoyable in the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

Blog Entries
    So I dove into the archives and apparently I love making lists and explaining them. After 8 years, my list is still almost the same.
    Cringe posts though I was such a brat.

It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

Blog Entries
    It's rather a difficult thing having a favorite series list, and I don't particularly have such thing. But if I had to list some things I've enjoyed it would probably go something like this, in no particular order.

Anime:
    Fist of the North Star
    Kuroko No Basket
    Record of Lodoss War
    Log Horizon
    Re:Zero

Special Mention: Erased - Loved this, but felt more like a film really. Funnily enough I think this is being made into a Netflix movie?

Manga:
    Berserk
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Goblin Slayer
    Dorohedoro
    Hajime No Ippo

Of course my preference for anime and manga has always been Old School 80's stuff.

But recently I've been keeping track of newer anime and manga, and giving it more and more of a chance.

My list shouldn't really be considered too much of a TOP OMG AMAZING, but a list of
    "What makes Balmung tick?"
    Gi-sei
    You'll laugh at your fears when you find out who you really are

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo Misaki View Post
    I think only Bal's truly neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    ".....Ye, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil.... for I am the meanest Son-of-a-bitch in the Valley!"

Blog Entries
    Wow, Goblin Slayer is a good choice. Berserk is great, with the darkest ending ever.
    Never enjoyed the over the top sports series, Kuroko no Basket reminds me so much of Prince of Tennis. They are great series, but the over the top, anime-like moves, is just too much for me.

Blog Entries
    Kuroko No Basket was amusing in the way it reminded me more of NBA play.

Funnily enough, I don't enjoy Prince of Tennis, but do like Eyeshield 21.

That said, Kuroko No Basket was the anime I found was a lot more accessible to random non anime lovers. Especially those who enjoyed watching Basketball altogether, I mean people who were hardcore watching games left and right.

So Kuroko No Basket was an altogether enjoyable experience, with some fun story, plus you gotta cheer for a protagonist who specializes in passing as opposed to going all out for Dunks, etc.

As a complete opposite, I also enjoyed Slam Dunk, but I felt it ended before the story began.
    Last edited by Balmung; 26 Nov 2018 at 5:06 pm.
    Gi-sei

".....Ye, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil.... for I am the meanest Son-of-a-bitch in the Valley!"

Blog Entries
    That is true, I would have loved to see Sakuragi's growth toward pro basketball.
    But we have what we have. Eyeshield 21 was really fun and all those are really fun to watch. I just prefer the more realistic approach.

Although I do agree 100% that Kuroko's focus on passing is absolutely wonderful, I play PG myself and since I lack the height and skillset to dunk or attack the basket in general, I tend to focus on playmaking and 3p.

ok, I see it's hard to make a top 5. So also my list in no particular order:

- Steins;Gate
    - Sword Art Online
    - Dragon ball
    - The serven deadly sins
    - Death Note

Special mentions:
    Series: Clannad, Attack on titans, hinamatsuri, love hina, anohana, erased and gungrave.
    Movies: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Spirited Away

I've watched hundred of animes but I haven't read any manga in my life :/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonathen View Post
    Eyeshield 21 was really fun and all those are really fun to watch.
    I read eyeshield 21 during my days as a Football player, it drove me to play a lot better and even got to State Champion level with some prospects on College Level. Sadly I pulled a Sakuragi.

@Style I absolutely love Gungrave. Did you ever play the Playstation games? I heard one of them was getting a remake?! I only didn't list it as a favorite anime, because it's based on the Game and the game is so much more detailed in terms of story.

I have yet to see the Girl who Leapt through Time, but I definitely want to watch it. I might edit my list to include movies as well.

I also really want to watch Seven Deadly Sins.

Also, sidenote. I have Steins; Gate the damn Visual Novel. Like special collectors whatever, still haven't watched it, played it, or read it. What am I doing with my life?
    Last edited by Balmung; 27 Nov 2018 at 4:29 pm.
    Gi-sei

Top 5 anime series no particular order

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Zeta Gundam
    Death Note
    Gurren Lagann
    Fist of the North Star

Special mentions go out to...
    Code Geass: for being the series that led me to finding Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Cowboy Bebop: was just barely beaten out by Fist of the North Star. Kenshiro just had a bigger impact on my life as odd as that is to type.

Mobile Suit Gundam: I truly love this show (I even have an RX-78-2 sticker on my car) but I didn't want to have more than one Gundam series in the top 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoh
    They compared school girls drinking tea to men drinking during war... Why do you go to this site again?

Blog Entries
    To be fair in our city, Fist of the North Star has had a big impact on a lot of people

Respect though, Cowboy Bebop is like Dragonball Z in the aspect that everyone considers it to be one of the greats.
    Gi-sei

Blog Entries
    Wow great lists, even Style posted
    Seven Deadly Sins is a good show, Fairy Tail like.

The first season of seven deadly sins is ok but the second season...? it's the best anime of this year.

I didn't know gungrave had a video game. at that time I had the original xbox it looks great.

Cowboy bebop is a 10!!! it's still the coolest anime soundtrack ever

thx I'm going to work today with the cowboy bebop soundtrack

Blog Entries
    Cowboy Bebop is just cool, it's an anime you can recommend to nonfans and they would probably like it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonathen View Post
    Cowboy Bebop is just cool, it's an anime you can recommend to nonfans and they would probably like it
    It's not just a probably, it's a guarantee in North America.
    Gi-sei

Blog Entries
    Haha you might be right. Even in Europe it is loved

Tokyo ghoul season 2 (especially the last episode when kaneki carry hide in the street)
    fate/stay night: unlimited blade works season 2 (As you can see in my avatar, My favorite character is Archer)
    kimetsu no yaiba (I finished this anime a week ago, and I got to say this anime is a masterpiece)
    one punch man
    overlord
    shokugeki no soma ( I heard the ending in the manga is worst, I hope they change it in anime)

Thread Information