Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
    Hinata-Sou Resident

Stevey Jobsy Wobs

RIP Steve, you will be missed, and didn't you know it?

What were your thoughts on the great man?

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    he was a guy.... and he was nerdy.... and he was a guy....

can't really say as though i enjoyed his products, his OS< or his computers.

if you want a look into my life in song and video form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4yI...caAHTwotIAAUAA

Insert witty usertitle here
    It takes determination to work through a long bout of cancer like that. That in itself deserves respect, then add on his innovation he brought to the computer world. I had lots of respect for him.

Blog Entries
    The man was driven, intelligent and excellent at what he did. Jobs started off with great ideas that didn't necessarily turn out to be great commercial successes and ended up producing great products to match with his great ideas.

He helped turn computers from dull grey boxes for mathematics into something accessible (if not immediately affordable) for ordinary people. His products engendered fierce loyalty in those who bought them, and the cult of personality looming over Apple had analysts doubting that the company would be anywhere near where it is today without him.

The story that he started in his parents' garage is rolled out an awful lot, but from relatively humble beginnings he turned into one of the most prominent people in his field on the entire planet.

A life lived to the full Apple and Jobs taught us to think different, and I'm thankful for that.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    The man changed the world as we know it, simple as that. People who argue otherwise, in my opinion, are generally reactive anti-Apple fanboys. They're the only breed worse than the slavishly obsessed Apple fanboys themselves.

His cult of personality knew no bounds. He was a fantastic speaker and could probably have talked Hitler out of Poland. However, he was an autocrat, a bully, and a man of no apparent altruistic bent. What to make of him as a human?

Oh yeah, we got custom user titles. Mr.Anderson's Avatar
    I don't like Apple at all. The product itself is a good idea but like the Kinect, I'd rather use it for the stuff it's not meant to do. Except that with the Kinect they're not using it to it's full potential and with the iPhone, my only Apply product, the hardware is sub par.
    Especially iTunes irritates me.

That he has changed the word is beyond any reasonable doubt.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I'm not sure how you've come to compare Apple products and the Kinect. Care to expand a little?

This hinges on the sole fact that I want a Kinect, but not an Xbox360 or it's games. I want to hook the Kinect up to my computer and make robots move, or use it to map my apartment etc etc.
    Same with the iPhone. I wanted it, just not all the crap that came with it. Jailbreaking it and loading custom software on it is what I do with it.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I'm unfamiliar with jailbroke software for the iPhone. What can you do with it that you can't with iOS? Or, for that matter, what is slimmed down about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Betong Åsna View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with jailbroke software for the iPhone. What can you do with it that you can't with iOS? Or, for that matter, what is slimmed down about it?
    Depends on what you do with it. You can just jailbreak it for the free apps, you could also jailbreak it to enable backgrounding apps on the original 3G. Or you could open up all kinds of network possibilities. I've had a really dumbed down version for a long while. Less graphical shit, more efficient apps and everything I could find to lessen the load on the hardware so I could do more with it.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    That's an extremely practical way of looking at it! Don't you appreciate the æsthetics of the thing at all?

If I wanted to appreciate the 'æsthetics' of things, I would have gone to the art school nearby and study game design there instead of on the technical school I'm studying at now.

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    you appreciate the asthetics of Suu.....

and ipods are not to be consideredd asthetically pleasing... or their burn a hole in your pant's pocket processors.

if you want a look into my life in song and video form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4yI...caAHTwotIAAUAA

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
    If I wanted to appreciate the 'æsthetics' of things, I would have gone to the art school nearby and study game design there instead of on the technical school I'm studying at now.
    It's possible to like both technology and æsthetics, you know? That's what this thread is about, after all XD

Blog Entries
    indeed Jobs expected great design to be alongside great functionality too. Not every company has that as one of their tenets.

of course its possible, but as I've noted, it's not always justifiably affordable for everyone. But if you want something technical you won't be ashamed to display, you can't often go wrong with an Apple product.

Aesthetics aren't normally all that important to me. I prefer something to do the job it was built for first and foremost. In my opinion, after using an Apple Macbook for four years now, this does the job I want it to do and what it was built for quite admirably. I don't think I'll want to buy a Windows PC again

Jailbreaking sounds a good and yet unnecessary thing to me. I'd want to do that with an iPhone if I had one, just because it can be done, but I'm not sure I would do it for any particular reason. A company looking to lock down features of a device just because they can is unnecessarily limiting the capabilities of the device for specifically selfish reasons. However, the only benefit I can see of altering the software is gaining some sort of semblance of control over the product again. Would you want to own a PC where the manufacturer decided what you could and couldn't do with it? why would you want your phone to be controlled in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    [...]pretty epic in terms of epicness

Another reason why I jailbreak my iPhone, the other is for the awesome Star Trek theme. Well and there are a few apps which aren't allowed with Apples restrictions which are really useful.
    Also to enable console and a few technical stuff.

Blog Entries
    why would you want to use console on your phone? Not decrying this usage, just curious

Call me old school, but I love console apps.
    Also a lot of the apps with the greatest freedom are console apps (they don't get an icon and have to be started from the console).
    In fact, the best IRC client I have found so far is a console app.

Blog Entries
    oh, rightio. Got you now I tend to launch most of the programs on my Windows boxes from the command line too. Working in a technical position means you soon lose your love of flashy icons

Not so much the Mac though. Shortcut icons for everything I use regularly. I have an odd way of working

Thread Information