Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord

Thread: Iaido

Oh yeah, we got custom user titles. Mr.Anderson's Avatar

Iaido

I've mentioned this a couple of times in the SuuBox, but I practice iaido and was wondering who knows of it, what it is, what people think of it, etc. Just an unusual topic to talk about.

So for those who don't know, iaido is the art of drawing the blade, cutting the opponent, and sheathing the blade.
    Simplifying and taking some liberties, the art of sword fighting was basically dying out due to it being banned. So kenjutsu split off into kendo (a more 'sporty' approach) and iaido (a more 'spiritual' approach). Thus iaido is performed in traditional non-armour clothes, ultimately with a real katana (though you start with a bokutou/bokken and practice with a blunt iaitou before a live blade), against imaginary opponents.

It's a martial art with a combination of doing things *exactly* as prescribed, but also what works for you (in a lot of places there's quite some liberty to do what you have to do in order for your body to be capable of performing).

Blog Entries
    I'd be incredibly disappointed if most anime and manga fans did not know what Iaido was

That said, I don't do much martial arts anymore and even then, I was learning more in terms of mma near the end.

But--- I do know that we have an instructor at the college campus who teaches Kendo. I believe some of the students spoke of going over Iaido in some form or another. I thought it was pretty interesting.
    Gi-sei
    You'll laugh at your fears when you find out who you really are

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo Misaki View Post
    I think only Bal's truly neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    ".....Ye, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil.... for I am the meanest Son-of-a-bitch in the Valley!"

Quote Originally Posted by Balmung View Post
    I'd be incredibly disappointed if most anime and manga fans did not know what Iaido was
    Would they though? I know I did a lot of orientation before I started practising so I had no misinformation on what it was. But if you think of an average anime fan, what *would* they know? From one of the big three (are they still the big 3?), One Piece? That would give you a very rudimentary idea of what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Balmung View Post
    I believe some of the students spoke of going over Iaido in some form or another. I thought it was pretty interesting.
    At our local dojo the balance is slowly shifting towards iaido as a few kendoka have quit, one is now practising both and a few are thinking of doing that as well. Which is a nice change since most of the times our group is the smallest of all.

Small side note, it's always fun when the NKR (the Dutch Kendo Alliance) organises a central training where both kendo and iaido are in the same building (though different halls). You can walk past 1 hall where it's dead silent and the next hall the kendoka are practising and you basically run into a wall of shouting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
    Would they though? I know I did a lot of orientation before I started practising so I had no misinformation on what it was.
    There are A LOT, and I'm sure that most shonen cover it at least once. Quite a few titles, and it boggles my mind

Also, it's a spicy trend for Isekai too!
    Gi-sei

".....Ye, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil.... for I am the meanest Son-of-a-bitch in the Valley!"

Do you have an anime where they go beyond "it's attacking from the scabbard"? Because I can use some recommendations

Honestly, I haven't watched many isekai anime. SAO ruined it for me and the only other I've seen is KonoSuba ^^'

Blog Entries
    None that I can PERSONALLY recommend, Though obviously those with a higher bit of martial arts do reference into it. Like Baki the Grappler. But I've come across it so many times, it's really tough to place most of them. Gods, I think they even covered it once in that popular cooking manga...

That said, ya boi <--- Has the recommendations on Isekai. That's literally all I read these days

Edit: Though we should take this topic of recommendations to anime/manga chat.
    Last edited by Balmung; 23 Nov 2018 at 2:13 pm.
    Gi-sei

So, getting semi-back-on-track. 26th through 29th there's the Ishido Cup in the Netherlands. I shall be attending the seminars, the tournament (taikai), and hopefully the exam and also pass as well

Going for my next dan grade; 2-dan (nidan) ^^

Thread Information