Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord

View Poll Results: How do we organise Older Series threads?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay as we are with one large subforum?

1 25.00%
  • Move threads into individual year subforums?

1 25.00%
  • Move threads into decade subforums?

2 50.00%
    Blog Entries

Organising Anime & Manga Section

hey folks.

Open question to those who are about: It was brought to my attention that several (most) of the threads in Current Series are no longer current and need moving.

Also, thread movement may irk some people. I suppose we could make it a pre-req now to use the [thread] BBCode to set permanent links to specific threads, rather than full paths

Are we happy to carry on with the one mega subforum of Older Series, or should we sort old threads into Years or Decades (10s Series, 00s Series, 90s Series...) subs?

I don't want this questions to linger too long, so I'll just suppose we're okay to carry on as we are if we can't reach a consensus by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    [...]pretty epic in terms of epicness

Decades seems good, but a bit too big. Maybe every 5 years is good enough?

Blog Entries
    I knew I should have put an "other" option up there. Nothing's ever good enough for you lot

Blog Entries
    This all sounds annoying. A forum that moves by the quarter? And then a Year Forum for everything past the Quarter? >_>
    Gi-sei
    You'll laugh at your fears when you find out who you really are

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo Misaki View Post
    I think only Bal's truly neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    ".....Ye, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil.... for I am the meanest Son-of-a-bitch in the Valley!"

Former Evangeline Shinso-Chan Suigintou's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On-Going series - Completed series - Archived (forgotten) Series.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Former:

Quote Originally Posted by Suigintou View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    This works too

Quote Originally Posted by Suigintou View Post
    http://forums.animesuki.com/

Works fine for them, I think this is a good idea

Blog Entries
    so... no clear winner in the poll yet, but a general trend towards keeping what we already have?

But what we already have isn't used

King Awesomely Awesomeness Aniki's Avatar
    Take all the badass series (old and new) and plaster them into a subforum of badassery and then stick the not so well known series and seperate them by currents and oldies.
    Should remember what happened the last time Balmung had the power to change my name.
    ^Buttface

Blog Entries
    it's the deciding what counts as badass, tho' isn't it? That's entirely subjective.

I don't know how this has helped me yet >< You lot are useless. Almost as much as me!

Quote Originally Posted by hinarei View Post
    You lot are useless. Almost as much as me!
    Almost he says!

Well I'm not one for wanting to crowd the place with lurkers but most anime forums stick the most popular of the anime and manga series all over their site, you know, to attract attention.
    While we've never been one to do that, seems it might be our best effort to attract some new peeps.
    Should remember what happened the last time Balmung had the power to change my name.
    ^Buttface

Blog Entries
    I suppose we could make it a pre-req now to use the [thread] BBCode to set permanent links to specific threads, rather than full paths
    Warmly supported.

Are we happy to carry on with the one mega subforum of Older Series, or should we sort old threads into Years or Decades (10s Series, 00s Series, 90s Series...) subs?
    Those who know me understand that I care little for what is considered "hot" or "current" by the majority. I discuss what I love or find interesting. (Often only if there is at least one person to have a meaningful discussion with, though.) Decades classification seems like a practically unambiguous way to go, if organizing is needed.

"I'm back an' I got a bigger gat!" (Sir Mix-a-Lot)

Cherish the memory of the Animeb Independent Volunteer Aerial Strikeforce, the Scandinavian Brigade, the Nosebleed Brigade, and every fan who fell in heroic battle for his or her favorite Hinata-sō girl! History ignored becomes history repeated.

Blog Entries
    Plonking the hottest new series around the site to attract people might not be a bad idea, but we've not got people interested in <insert series here> to drive discussion. I don't see folks who are here and may already be interested shouting about new series they're following, and people need to get into the habit of doing that.

I'm kinda the same way as Kata. As I said earlier its deciding what's badass, isn't it? We may not be following trends here, exactly, but we had a formula for years and stuck to it and were kind of left behind after a while. I only really latch on to a series at a time, and it may not be the new and coming thing. I then tend not to let go of it for the longest time.

I'd like to take a mix of these ideas and lump 'em together. Decades seems like the way to go if we need to organise further. If people are generally happy with the way things are right now, we don't need to organise our mega forum into bunches.

Proper thread titling (and tagging) should be observed when posting threads.

When creating a thread:
    • Use the prefix option for Anime, Manga, Images and Polls
    • Give your post a descriptive title, including the series name
    • Tag the thread with the series name so it's searchable
    • If the series name doesn't suit a particular thread or if it isn't clear, tag the thread
    • If the series name gets translated at any point, ensure you tag this too

Following those rules should save on having to search too hard for particular threads.

if people feel a series has reached a certain point and become a hot topic with lots of threads sprawling about the place they can be added to a subforum, but I'd like to avoid this until we know the series has become a hit here

Oh, and remember to use [thread][/thread]

How's that all sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    [...]pretty epic in terms of epicness

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    as far as interest goes the primary reason i come and look at the current series forum is for the new shows to watch and then discuss, if i see a show, i wanna put it in an upstart forum, i like the decade forums idea. it will allow me to find some of the 80's series i used to watch.

if you want a look into my life in song and video form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4yI...caAHTwotIAAUAA

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    Those who know me understand that I care little for what is considered "hot" or "current" by the majority. I discuss what I love or find interesting. (Often only if there is at least one person to have a meaningful discussion with, though.) Decades classification seems like a practically unambiguous way to go, if organizing is needed.
    I completely agree with your sentiments. I for one only remained here because of how everyone had a united interest in Love Hina & Negima which is why, in my opinion, this forum was one the best. It's not a random internet forum with a myriad of equally random strangers and topics but I think we have to face the music and agree that we'll need to go out on a limb to gather attention for the place.

Plonking the hottest new series around the site to attract people might not be a bad idea, but we've not got people interested in <insert series here> to drive discussion. I don't see folks who are here and may already be interested shouting about new series they're following, and people need to get into the habit of doing that.

I'm kinda the same way as Kata. As I said earlier its deciding what's badass, isn't it? We may not be following trends here, exactly, but we had a formula for years and stuck to it and were kind of left behind after a while. I only really latch on to a series at a time, and it may not be the new and coming thing. I then tend not to let go of it for the longest time.
    I'm not one for following the latest trends of anime and manga, matter of fact I don't bother with it at all. I keep to my oldies-but-goodies series. I think there are plenty of fans of all series that feel the same and those are the people we want here. BUT that's not gonna happen unless we get the word out. That's why I think we might need to step out of our comfort zone and start getting with trends and send out the message that "We can be hip too!"

I'd like to take a mix of these ideas and lump 'em together. Decades seems like the way to go if we need to organise further. If people are generally happy with the way things are right now, we don't need to organise our mega forum into bunches.
    The decades idea isn't such a bad plan but we'll need a nicer name for everything. Saying "These series were from such and such date to such and such date doesn't sound appealing. I think separating the oldies is great but we should do the same thing of getting the most popular of those and somehow promoting it around so the old fans get their interest peaked to check it out.

Proper thread titling (and tagging) should be observed when posting threads.
    I'm going to be honest hina, I'm not against the idea at all but I know most people won't be bothered to do it
    ^Buttface

Thread Information