Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Campaign for activity

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries

The Campaign for activity

We need to get activity, and to do that, we need to get more new, good members, in the best interests of the forums.

ideas have been put forth, and one of them has been to bring back members that have been pushed out, (BOBCAT) who unfortunatly, were great at recruiting new members. he currently has access to the single most tight knit group of users on Gaia online, and has repeatedly tried to recruit me, which i have to admit, has succeeded on occasion.

in fact, my original reason for coming here was the HKSS, however bad or good that organization may have been, to be honest, alot of those members are STILL HERE! Panzy, myself, and some of you others.

I want to see this forum succeed again, i remember a time where members would be posting so fast i couldn't capatalise on the good jokes. I remember hosting the Animebradio, and people would talk to me. i remember talking with MOMO back when she hosted it.

I WANT THOSE DAYS BACK DAMNIT!!!

if you have any ideas, let me know, post them here... do something!

if you want a look into my life in song and video form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4yI...caAHTwotIAAUAA

Blog Entries
    Well, maybe i can get on my account on Runescape and throw some bait to people, other than that i know other people who might actually want to join also.

Lemme see what I can do XD

I will Beat you into a Bloody pulp now,
    And ask Questions later.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Anyone who has any ideas, do bring them forward. However, this really isn't the right forum for it. Try Forum Suggestions and Help!

Healthy discussion is the best tool we have in the immediate future.

Blog Entries
    while I appreciate the seriousness with which you're approaching this point, Aeris, it's not quite SSF material and will be quite at home here

As has been said several times before, I'm quite happy with a small hardened core of visitors who post reguarly and enjoy others' company. Thing is, even regulars can't run on fumes for very long. We need a hook, something to provide a reason for continued checking in and posting.

Members who have been pushed out were pushd out for a reason. Time does heal all wounds though. It may not hurt us to extend an olive branch or two, but really we've got to have a firm idea of what we're about first.

In this regard, Betong got it right. Keep talking, and we'll be okay. Give us a footing, anyway.

...only has to succeed once, for recruiting purposes, surely?

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I think a basic problem we have is that a substantial part of the core membership has - wishing not to sound patronising here - grown up. It's all very well inviting people in from Gaia or such places, but I'm not sure how our hardened old members here would appreciate a carbon copy of Gaia in miniature.

For my money, I'd like to see us adopt (continue?) a more mature vibe around the place. Maybe I'm misreading the situation, though, do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Betong Åsna View Post
    I think a basic problem we have is that a substantial part of the core membership has - wishing not to sound patronising here - grown up. It's all very well inviting people in from Gaia or such places, but I'm not sure how our hardened old members here would appreciate a carbon copy of Gaia in miniature.

For my money, I'd like to see us adopt (continue?) a more mature vibe around the place. Maybe I'm misreading the situation, though, do let me know.
    I agree with this reasoning. Actually now that I think of it, it's a bit weird that the majority of us have lost our interest in love hina, or maybe just that anime genre in general, but we're still a love hina forum

Maybe we should just convert to "Old gentlemen's club" and focus more on being an "older" anime fan.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    You might be on to something there. That's certainly the reason I'm still here. Not a forum for old anime, per se (which we are now, ironically), but rather a forum for new anime for old men.

Blog Entries
    I thought it had been officially announced that we were no more an LH forum. Even the Negima characters up there were to be replaced with something else.

Tong, could you give concrete examples of what you understand by "a more mature vibe"? I have a terribly vague idea about what everyday life on Gaia Online is all about. Do my blogging activities count as doing the "older anime fan" role?

Ever since I joined, I have felt that AnimeB has room for different approaches. Depending on context, I have drawn from my past and present experiences and often enjoyed the outcome. I have always welcomed youngsters willing to stop and think a little bit to join the discussion.

P.S. Curse all your sausage-fest talk. Do not ignore Momo, Pudding and Mandi, or other ladies who might still be lurking about.

"I'm back an' I got a bigger gat!" (Sir Mix-a-Lot)

Cherish the memory of the Animeb Independent Volunteer Aerial Strikeforce, the Scandinavian Brigade, the Nosebleed Brigade, and every fan who fell in heroic battle for his or her favorite Hinata-sō girl! History ignored becomes history repeated.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Did you just forget Chey?

But yes, your blogging fits nicely into that structure. And you kind of summed it up with "willing to stop and think a little bit". That's exactly what we're looking for. A bit of insight into stuff, not just chatter. Chatter is good too, but we can't run a forum based on it.

Also, we can make all the 'official announcements' we like; the fact remains that if a large proportion of the anime fans here are Hina Lovers, that's what kind of forum we are. We need to attract fans using something other than Akamatsu's stuff, which is something we are yet to succeed in doing.

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    it may have been announced, but it still reads "love hina and Negima" on the addressbar. we need to rework the site to more emphasize the areas in which we are strong, commentary on new anime series, and the nosebleed brigade, and the chitchat"general discussion"

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Really? Mine says 'Animeb.com - Anime Forums'...

But yes, I think I see where you're coming from? Kind of like a clean, toned-down Sankaku? It could work.
    Last edited by Betong Åsna; 30 Sep 2011 at 2:23 pm.

Blog Entries

I beg to differ. I, for one, have stolidly refused to grow up at all. Maybe that's part of the problem. At this moment, I wouldn't mind inviting in a slew of secondary schoolers, if we got 'em talking, but I'm not going to go for activity just for its own sake. I would like to build on something. You're correct in that it might not be great for some of the regulars, who may at one point have taken delight in tearing up new peeps, but now merely tolerate them I like to think that we've got a reasonable mix still, and we're not all old fogies.

Face it, mature might be the best option open to us, but it sure as hell doesn't suit us

Quote Originally Posted by ´Silæs View Post
    I agree with this reasoning. Actually now that I think of it, it's a bit weird that the majority of us have lost our interest in love hina, or maybe just that anime genre in general, but we're still a love hina forum

Maybe we should just convert to "Old gentlemen's club" and focus more on being an "older" anime fan.
    This mean targeting old anime fans or old anime fans? either would work for me, to be honest. I like the idea of a gentleman's club, but the girls need a home too

I'm still massively in favour of the harem anime concept, even if it's supposed to be dying on its feet, but then I am a creepy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    I thought it had been officially announced that we were no more an LH forum. Even the Negima characters up there were to be replaced with something else.
    I believe the announcement in question stated the intention of focussing on broader subjects. I don't recall saying explicitly that we were no longer a Love Hina board, only that we wished to work more towards other things. A new banner and skin were proposed but the idea wasn't fully implemented and only half supported. New skins we can import successfully are always welcome.

Tong, could you give concrete examples of what you understand by "a more mature vibe"? I have a terribly vague idea about what everyday life on Gaia Online is all about. Do my blogging activities count as doing the "older anime fan" role?
    You fit the bill perfectly, as Betong said The perception of Gaia here has tended to be negative, and I think slanted towards a particular approach just on BC's guild. We may be giving it a bad press, but I reckon we're just thinking towards one extreme when it's probably more middle-of-the-road. A contemplative outlook is always useful. While lots of the posts on here are chatter and spam, you get members who put in the hard yards and write out what they think about things, rather than just soundbites and memes. Your blogging is a nice example of the sort of content I'd like to see more of. There is room for spammy chatter but I would prefer more thought to go into posting than has been the case.

Of course, ramblers like me just clutter the place up without saying very much at all while taking a very long time to say it. We don't want their sort here

Ever since I joined, I have felt that AnimeB has room for different approaches. Depending on context, I have drawn from my past and present experiences and often enjoyed the outcome. I have always welcomed youngsters willing to stop and think a little bit to join the discussion.
    You've said before you define your time here in eras. This next could be the Crusty period Older fans appreciated and the site tailored for them. Any old heads on young shoulders would be ushered through the door too.

P.S. Curse all your sausage-fest talk. Do not ignore Momo, Pudding and Mandi, or other ladies who might still be lurking about.
    Two sections, separate admins and mods. A men's room and a ladies' room Fear the lavender tyranny of the ladies room!

Did you just forget Chey?
    The berry clearly said "Pudding", Ass.

Chatter is good too, but we can't run a forum based on it.
    Hasn't stopped us for the last seven years. I do see what you're getting at though.

Also, we can make all the 'official announcements' we like; the fact remains that if a large proportion of the anime fans here are Hina Lovers, that's what kind of forum we are. We need to attract fans using something other than Akamatsu's stuff, which is something we are yet to succeed in doing.
    we announced that we were going to rebuild and that never really happened either. Just drifted again.

while a new approach has to be decided upon to keep us going, we need to have those who still visit behind the idea and an admin team willing to make it work.

Do you feel we could make this "older anime fan" approach work? Would you come by regularly and post to help it along? Could we sustain it until we got new people in? How do we get new people in?

I wouldn't mind becoming a cleaned-up SankakuComplex kind of site, but do we as a group have the drive for that to happen? we'd have to keep things fresh and make an effort to talk about anything and everything that came out that was in any way relevant.

Site title is "Anime Forums". We changed that when we said we were going to work on other areas. My bookmark still says Love Hina Forums because I've not changed it since we rename the board, but the address bar doesn't lie

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    [...]pretty epic in terms of epicness

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I feel like you've contradicted yourself a bit there. Or maybe you've just contradicted my generalisation of Gaia, I'm not sure. Either way, are we generally agreed that threads full of 'who will post next' and 'myu' are not the way to go? This is a discussion forum, and the emphasis should be firmly on both words.

Also, Pudding? This is a new one on me...

Aniki is my King Ebenezer Shittingway's Avatar
    Can we please set it up so any further mention of Bobcat from this point forward results in a ban?

Seriously, he did way more harm than good for the place. And 90% of the activity attributed to his amazing recruiting skills were him posting myuus and whomps. Purging his posts would probably leave this place in the triple digits post wise.

And any members he might bring with him will result in me committing genocide. I'm serious.

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Genocide might be a bit ove the top for me, but interior cranial nuclear fusion would probably be on the agenda.

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    i sense you have bad feeling toward he who should not be named? did he kill your parents and try to kill you leaving a bizarre lightning bolt shaped scar on your forehead?

Aniki is my King Ebenezer Shittingway's Avatar
    Yes.

Finally watched Twilight
    Blog Entries
    I now pronounce you... an overly emotional teenage twit whose sole purpose in life is to provide Hermoine a means to do good with her knowledge,(she would be so much better if she and bellatrix were friends... and she wasn't a silly redhead. make her the sexy one of the pair) to Ron a person to pass all blame for hi actions or inactions on(he would have been kicked out of hogwarts by now for general failure at life), and to every parent of a child at hogwarts a reason to pull their kids out of wizarding school(as if the teachers, dragons, giant spiders, mermaids, whomping willow, and dementors wasn't enough... good Lord why is there so much that can kill you at a bloody school?).

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Oookay, on topic, please.

How about redirecting animeb.com to a new front page, and having the forums just as one part of the site? Between us, maybe we could keep up a half-decent blog.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if anyone wants to hear from little ol' me, but I'll add my twenty cents (two cents adjusted for inflation)

Year ago I made a silly thread which actually turned into a prophecy.
    http://www.animeb.com/love-hina/478-...ing-about.html

Watermelon 9:29-30 "The defenders of 'You endure' [translated: Shinobu] shall raise the [illegible] and bring the Hinata sheep home. They shall all eat watermelon and celebrate being back."
    Back in the day, I was (and still am) a huge Love Hina fan. I went around the internet and saw tons of Love Hina forums. One had 12 really huge fans, another had 10, and so on and so on. Each of those forums were dying on their own. So I came up with an idea: Bring everyone together. (You can see that plan in the quote above) And it worked! At one time, we were the largest Love Hina community on the internet.

Could this be redone with Negima fans? Not sure. This forum has made a change in its niche, so it won't work, as it is no longer a Love Hina and Negima forum. Also there are several really large Negima communities out there, and they're not likely to come en mass elsewhere.

There is hope. What we need to do is find out what animeb does best. What is its niche? And then recruit members who would fit that mold. What does animeb do that no other place can do better? Think this through. Then implement a successful plan. And rock again.

Peace.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information