Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
    Blog Entries

The Board Does Not Want Me Here

Reading bits of the forum is easy, especially if I use the print mode without logging in. Trying to read all new messages that seem interesting is tough. Posting is nigh impossible.

I reported similar problems in mid-January before logging out -- but not here, because navigating to this subforum seemed very hard.

http://www.animeb.com/nosebleed-brig...tml#post445680

"Waiting for www.animeb.com..." is how I am repeatedly informed by my browser. These lags take some dozens of seconds, perhaps up to three minutes. I have not yet metered it, but I know it is easily more than one minute at worst.

These lengthy waiting times come in waves, and if the wave is a bad one, I do not get my desired page at all. Instead, after those estimated three minutes, I get the following error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Today I have gotten three of these error messages. Last time, I kept getting them for fifteen minutes, so my login expired before I was able to report the problem or reload the "New Posts" page, which I was after.

Today I also received a different error message on top of this:

Database error

The database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    * Open the www.animeb.com home page, then try to open another page.
    * Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.animeb.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    For extra fun, the "contact them" link of this latter message seems to be a "mailto:" link with a blank space instead of any e-mail address.

If all this is because my browsers are outdated, please confirm and explain it. (It might take time before I can update them, though.) If it is your server that is having trouble, please do something about it.

Yours, Katz

EDIT: Around 20 minutes after posting the text above, the whole site stopped communicating with me. At first I got a few blank white pages, then followed another error message:

Unable to connect

Iceweasel can't establish a connection to the server at www.animeb.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Iceweasel is permitted to access the Web.
    I tried again a few times during the next twenty or more minutes, and kept getting the same "Problem loading page" notification. Then I went away from my computer to do some dishes. Now that i have returned, the site is still somewhat laggy, but it is a question of dozens of seconds at worst, not minutes upon minutes.
    Last edited by Katajainen; 29 Jan 2012 at 6:36 am.

"I'm back an' I got a bigger gat!" (Sir Mix-a-Lot)

Cherish the memory of the Animeb Independent Volunteer Aerial Strikeforce, the Scandinavian Brigade, the Nosebleed Brigade, and every fan who fell in heroic battle for his or her favorite Hinata-sō girl! History ignored becomes history repeated.

Blog Entries
    its taking a little while to load pages right now, but I'm not getting anything like the scale of problems you're mentioning. I'll see if I can find anything in the logs which might detail loss of connectivity or high load. I remember us being on a 'private' server, so the host may be under some stress or something...

Thanks for letting me know

edit: Panel says server load averages (at 1:17PM GMT) are 0.69 0.88 0.86. Fairly hefty, and they've been over 1.00 today. I can't really see anything in the server cPanel that's pointing me to any errors to explain why the server would be under this sort of load.

Maybe we'd benefit from a reboot?

Edit the second: as for the contact link, everything I can see on the ACP options for Contact Details lists the webmaster email address, so... wonder what's going on there? O_o

Former Evangeline Shinso-Chan Suigintou's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had some of the same problems a while ago and was told to delete my cookies for animeb.com - so far it worked

Former:

Blog Entries
    I've had no real issues this afternoon. Well, I say that: a couple of times the forum slowed down to a crawl (lots of lag all over the place!) while I was trying to move some threads, but for posting purposes and my testing a few things to do with usergroups I've had no major problems. I know Bal said that while i was having the move delay the SuuBox was tremendously laggy. Think Sui was on at the time too, but he's said it was mostly okay?

cookie clearing could be useful, its a good general rule if you've not done that for a while, but this sounds more like a server-side issue to me. I could be wrong though :/

Browsing using Firefox 9.0.1, so pretty much up-to-date. Doubt it's a version issue, since you'd have noticed this since we upped to v4.1 I would have thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    [...]pretty epic in terms of epicness

Not much problem with me, ever

Somebody call the Style :3

Blog Entries
    I do not like cookies or other stuff sent to my computer without my own request, especially when they come from large commercial sites, or from shadier sites full of blinking ads and whatnot (e.g. lyrics collections). Since gathering info for real while boycotting those kinds of sites is impossible, I delete all my cookies on a regular basis -- say, a couple of times a week at the very least. I assume the habit slows down browsing AnimeB rather than speeds it up.

Since I joined in 2006, AnimeB pages have always been slow to load, much slower than those of some Finnish SMF boards, probably thanks to the high numbers of signature images and whatnot plus my long physical distance to the server. But the usual lags are about data transfer, not waiting for the server, and generally a lot shorter than these recent ones.

Today it does not seem bad. I shall try to report again if needed.

"I'm back an' I got a bigger gat!" (Sir Mix-a-Lot)

Cherish the memory of the Animeb Independent Volunteer Aerial Strikeforce, the Scandinavian Brigade, the Nosebleed Brigade, and every fan who fell in heroic battle for his or her favorite Hinata-sō girl! History ignored becomes history repeated.

Blog Entries
    Someone has to wake up Style and have him fix those error messages

Thread Information