Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries

Japanese Language Courses

Since I lost my last job due to unfortunate circumstances, I'm in the process of deciding which language course to take to fill in empty space, so I can do something constructive with myself.

I decided to take up Japanese, rather than Spanish (although there are a lot of Spanish-speaking people where I live... legal and non-legal).

Right now, I'm looking into pricing for different language courses to focus on, instead of just learning the language piecemeal like I have been over the past few years through manga or anime, or by just reading posts here in the language threads. I've checked Rosetta Stone out. It's a bit pricey ($549 for the 3-course Japanese Language set), but I'm certain it's a pretty comprehensive package deal too.

Any advice to give here? It's bewildering to find so many different companies selling language courses, and a second or third (or fourth) opinion would always be appreciated.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Aniki is my King Ebenezer Shittingway's Avatar
    Protip: Piracy is your friend.

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, FB. I'll... keep that in mind.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Blog Entries
    Don't take courses. It's expensive, usually without a proper instructor and de-motivating.
    Go look for a private teacher instead, you'll be amazed how many university students offer lessons to get some extra pocket money.
    My teacher is a University Senior studying Japanese Literature, so she's pretty much as fluent as any other Japanese. (She's Japanese, but was born in Holland and never learned the language until she decided to study Japanese Literature)

Private tutors aren't that expensive, it's usually between 15-25 bucks an hour.
    I got lucky, i pay 10 euro's an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

^ What Yonathen said.

You need to interact with people who use the language. You can spend all your money on the language classes/tutors, but you will lose it very quickly if you do not use it (that's why Japanese is such a poor choice....).
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    [15:53] <Silver> Oh, that Allison
    [15:54] <Silver> Whenever we're talking badly about someone, you can count on her to show up

Your neighborhood trap, serving you since 2005

Quotes!
    Spoiler

Aniki is my King
    Learn what you want to learn, to hell with being practical and pragmatic, if you choose something based on how convenient it is, it's just another job, of course if you're enthusiastic and interested about spanish, go for that too. Make chances to interact with speakers of either language along the way and practice whenever possible.

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    Point well taken. Thanks for chiming in, guys.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I agree with Fox. Do what you want to do - that in itself is motivating. If you take something that takes so much effort to become fluent in, that you aren't even passionate about, just because it's practical, it will seem like a job and you'll probably give up somewhere in between. Seriously, just choose whatever you want to learn.

Momo is right about the not using and forgetting thing, that happens.. but you will never have problems finding Japanese speakers online who you can talk to via microphone or text in combination with self-teaching (or classes). Sites such as "Interpals" will let you speak to native speakers, or also people learning it. You can ask them questions, write to, or skype with them -- plenty are willing to help. Or the forum Unilang, where you can ask questions and have discussions about the languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer Shittingway View Post
    An entire month to write 2 words?

Blog Entries
    Alternatively, if you have an iPhone/iPod, there are loads of apps that teach you japanese. From dictionaries, to kanji drawing games, to verb conjugation, to explained lessons, etc, good stuff!

Blog Entries
    I agree to all of that, when doing something you like, you'll get motivated and when doing something fun has the same effect.

But don't underestimate the effect of studying, even if you make it fun and even if you are as interested in it as hina in loli's.
    most likely more than 50% of all human beings get's lazy/de-motivated/tends to quit when studying alone without a true goal (like studying for a test/mid-term. or studying for the sake of a job.)

I'm not a licenced Teacher yet, but i have taught many people (have been asked by my old highschool, to give make up classes for the less gifted there.) and i can clearly notice that if you have no true goal to reach or at least a partner to study with or a friend who can support you, most likely you'll drop the subject.

It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    So, until I can clarify for what reason/goal I'm willing to learn another language, I should hold off, is what you're saying basically?

If so, gotcha.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Blog Entries
    no no, i say of you buy one of those "do it at home" course packages, you'll find yourself learning Japanese alone, without any support, so you'll gradually lose interest.
    Which is a shame, because it's fun to learn and fun to interact in Japanese.
    So that's why you should go for the more personal classes, as you'll find yourself having more fun when doing it with a teacher and possible classmates.

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    I can see your point.

It's easier to be motivated to do something when you share it with others who are along for the ride. Like work, chores, or even school.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Hinata-Sou Resident
    Bear this in mind: Japanese is horrible. Full blown horrible. Don't be fooled into thinking it's a pleasant language to speak, because it isn't. It's untidy, unwieldy and has too many words that add nothing to a sentence. It's young, it's raw, and it's not nice.

If you wanna learn it though, yeh - never mind getting bored, you won't be able to do it well enough at all without a native/near native teacher. The intricacies are too delicate for a book to handle.

Blog Entries
    Betong, everyone has a different opinion about Japanese.
    Sure, if you find it unpleasant and would refuse to learn it, it's your choice.
    But don't force your way of thinking on others, as Miroku finds it amusing for now.
    So why not let him try it and afterwards we'll let him decide if he finds it worthwhile to continue or not

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I know the opinions of many language learners on Japanese, as well as many scholars of linguistics. There is widespread agreement that it's not nice.

I never said he shouldn't try, though.

Blog Entries
    He means horrible in its structure, which i agree too, same as chinese I think. Lets take a look into things.
    1.- Unflexible language.
    You need to spell things in syllables, not as flexible as having a per character writing thing.

2.- 3 Different Writing systems
    Something that isn't deep and or varied needs this I suppose. Limited syllables make for repeated words, which need to be written with different characters so the reader knows what exactly is being said, etc.

3.- Kanji
    Thousands of characters. Most of them come from chinese, why? because they didn't have way of expressing something? That, and kanji can be read multiple ways depending on what other kanji/syllables are around it. Also, if you don't know a kanji, you don't know how to read it, which doesn't happen in other languages, where you might not know what a word means, but you still can read it.

Rhy
    How can you learn any Japanese with Selo's sig-idols to distract you?

Hinata-Sou Resident
    I see them on the street every day, Miitan

Rhy
    Quote Originally Posted by Betong Åsna View Post
    I see them on the street every day, Miitan
    Lucky bastard. I need different scenery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information